Updated May 25, 2022:
Revive Us Ministries is thankful to have such an overwhelming response and support from our Emory family to our call for help. Your generous financial contributions, as well as non-monetary donations, have enabled us to serve many more people in need. As well we have had many people who have stepped forward to join our team and offer their help during this difficult time in our communities. Our sincere thanks to each of you for your continued help and donations!
Revive Us Ministries is an outreach triage ministry meeting people where they are and helping to provide for emergency supplies for a vulnerable community. The ministry serves the community by providing them with food, shelter, clothing and other life-sustaining needs. Revive Us Ministries provides fellowship, stewardship, as well as immediate resources to a vulnerable community all during the week.
While some of the people the ministry serves have shelter, others are in the woods. Those in motel rooms may not have a microwave or refrigerator. Those in the woods do not always have the option of an open fire or cooking devices. Please keep in mind that due to food handling and safety, as well as the lack of food storage or preparation resources, that single-serve, easy-open, shelf-stable items are preferable.
Food items the ministry is in dire need of:
(Pop top or easy-open cans/packaging when possible)
- Individual canned meals and pasta
- Individual dried soup cups
- Individual canned soups, chilis, etc.
- Individual canned meats (i.e., Vienna sausages, spam , tuna etc)
- Canned fruits
- Snack-pack fruits and applesauce
- Individual fruit-type snacks for children
- Boxes of cereal
- Granola bars
- Fruit/breakfast bars
- Boxes of oatmeal/packets of oatmeal (please no canisters as we cannot open and distribute in smaller quantities like the packets)
- Snack pack puddings
Note: Please be sure to check expiration dates on items as we cannot accept expired food items.
We are also in need of gently used:
- Sleeping bags
Toiletries which we can really use:
- Toilet paper
- Cleansing wipes/baby wipes (smaller packages are better for distribution)
- Liquid body wash/soap
Items that are not a necessity but greatly appreciated:
- Gallon size ziploc-type storage bags
- Single packet water enhancers
- Coloring and activity books (for both children and adults)
- Crayons and colored pencils
- Individual packaged peanut butter crackers
- Individual packaged cheese crackers
- Candy-individual wrapped serving (i.e., lollipops, chocolate, etc)
Twice a week, in addition to offering other provisions, the ministry packs lunches that include shelf-sustainable items such as a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, a granola or breakfast bar, one piece of fresh fruit (banana or orange) and a bag of chips. When available, we add extra treats like fruit cups, a piece of candy or a package of crackers to the lunches.
Non-perishable donations can be placed outside the front doors of Emory in the plastic container marked “Revive Us” or on the shelf in the Narthex to the right of the church’s office marked “Revive Us”. Perishable items can be put in the refrigerator or freezer at Emory Church (view our contact page for map and address) if you are in the building for church service or when the doors are open. Please let us know you have left items in the refrigerator or freezer. If you need someone to pick up donations from you, please let us know.
Volunteers are still urgently needed. We have had times when Wednesday and/or Saturday deliveries had to be cancelled due to a shortage of volunteers and/or specifically a shortage of male volunteers. For safety purposes, men must always accompany the ministry and there must be a sufficient number of people to effectively and safely carry out the deliveries.
Volunteers are needed to work in the field delivering food and other provisions. You set your own schedule. If going out to make deliveries is not an option for you, there are many other ways you can help the ministry. To give you an idea of where else you may assist:
- Volunteers are needed to assist with administrative and organizational tasks which take about 1.5 – 2 hours to complete before departure. We need help to pack 200+ lunches, pulling and packing provisions for delivery, packing the cars, organizing and folding donations, or inventorying what the ministry has in stock and what needs replenished.
- Making peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. We serve 200+ sandwiches twice a week.
- How about serving as liaison on Wednesday or Saturday? We could use liaisons to talk to the families and find out if they have any urgent needs while deliveries are being made. While some needs may be curative at that time, some may require follow up by the ministry and writing down the information would be a tremendous help and time saver. For instance, individuals may need help finding transportation to medical appointments; or finding a phone number for additional resources; or help filling out job or housing applications; while others may be running out of food or need warm bedding. And others just need a kind person to sit and talk to them a minute or two or pray with them
For more information on Revive Us Ministries, please contact:
Steve Argabright (443) 619-0607
Craig Mansour (443) 374-7791
Stu Sweitzer (410) 365-7187