Emory Church has a strong Missions Ministry that works hard to help those in need in all the ways we can, while providing a message of hope and love through our gifts and presence.
We participate in a wide variety of local and worldwide mission projects in some of the following ways:
- School Lunch Program – We contribute to the lunch program for a Harford County public school, paying a portion or all of a school lunch debt for students who are unable.
- AA Support Group – Emory Church hosts regular meetings for the Alcoholics Anonymous program. There is a Tuesday night at 8:00 group meeting open to all, and a Saturday group meeting for women at 4:00 pm. For information, contact Steve at 410-937-0462.
- Char Hope Foundation – Our church contributes to the success of Char Hope Foundation, a recovery support group that helps adults who are facing the challenges of substance abuse move toward recovery.
- Mason Dixon Community Services – We are a contributor to the Mason Dixon Community Services organization which offers emergency services (food, utility aid and eviction prevention) as well as services designed to break the cycle of poverty. Emory donates food and household products on an ongoing basis. We also donate Back to School kits as well as sponsoring families at Christmas.
- Fruit Baskets – Are delivered to members who are 80 years and over
- Red Bird Mission – We donate to the Red Bird Mission of the United Methodist church located in the Appalachia area of Kentucky
- Good News Club – Emory takes the gospel into the community through an after school Good News Club for elementary age children. We work in partnership with Child Evangelism Fellowship of Maryland to reach children with the good news of God’s love in the gift of His Son Jesus Christ through Bible lessons, music and fun activities.
- Haiti – Through Partners in Development (PID), Emory has taken several groups to Haiti to provide aid and relief while teaching the message of Jesus.
- Operation Christmas Child – The youth group of Emory sponsors the collecting of and packing of items for children in developing countries through the Operation Christmas Child program of Samaritan’s Purse.
- Backpack Back-to-school kits – Emory gathers donations of backpacks and back to school supplies, packs them, and delivers them to a local Harford County public school.
- Project Linus – A project carried out by the youth group of Emory was the making of fleece blankets to donate to Project Linus, an organization the provides handmade blankets to children and youth in need of comforting for distribution through local hospitals, first responders, social services and schools.
- Scholarships – The Emory United Methodist Church Scholarship is awarded each year to deserving youth. A second scholarship is awarded in memory of J. Thomas and Oleta S. Snodgrass. And finally, the Judith Lloyd Famous Music Fund presents a financial award to a community student of music.
- And more